What Is A Non-Traditional Career?

When you hear "Non-traditional" career, it generally applies to careers your gender (boy or girl) does not "traditionally" go into. For girls these broad areas involve technology, trades such as construction and welding, and public services such as police and fire. For boys the areas involve early childhood education such as elementary school teachers, and healthcare careers in the field of nursing. There are many advantages to non-traditional careers, such as the ability to stand out in a field of applicants, and the fact that non-trad careers often pay exceptionally well!

Follow our blog for more info and to learn more about non-trad career events!




Tuesday, May 18, 2010

CTE Star: Melissa Sandstrom

Melissa Sandstrom, 17, is a senior at Vernonia High School and a standout student in Mr. Lower's web design class. Between creating websites and learning the latest programs like Flash and Adobe Illustrator, we were lucky to track her down for an interview.

What do you like about web design and graphic design?
I really like art, and I wanted to find something that I could make into a career, instead of fine arts. I think graphic design is really booming right now thanks to technology.

Why did you decide to take this class?
I got interested in graphic design last year. Our junior year we study 3 different careers and graphic design was one of the jobs I chose. I visited the Art Institute last summer, and after that I really wanted to take this class. I like that this class is self-led, but we can get help if we need it.

What's your favorite project you've worked on so far?
I did a website. I just started with HTML code. I'd never used it before and I had no idea how it worked, but I created my own website about dogs, and now I'm starting a portfolio page of what I've done.

The header of Melissa's first website.

What has been the biggest challenge?
Definitely learning HTML. A lot of times I'd try things and they wouldn't work and I'd have to ask Mr. Lower. I always take a long time to ask him because I want to figure it out myself, but when I finally ask him, he can help me.

What have you learned about yourself while taking this class?
I learned that I like to work on the computer. I really like to create things, and see how colors and patterns come together.


What are your plans after high school?
I'm going to the Art Institute of Portland to study graphic design. I'd already decided to go there before I took this class but now I feel a lot more confident.

Extra Credit:
VHS Students Learn Graphic Design
7 Female Graphic Designers That'll Rock Your Socks Off
Biographies and Stories: Female Web Designer

No comments:

Post a Comment